The 2018 OutStanding LGBTQIA+ Short Story Competition is now open! The theme is ‘Next Big Thing’! The competition closes at midnight on Saturday 1 September 2018. Details about the 2018 competition prizes can be found here. Click below to enter.
1. Stories must be your own work, and not previously published or read out in public.
2. All stories should have relevance to the broader Australian or New Zealand LGBTIQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer +) community.
3. All stories must relate to the theme in some way.
4. Stories must be 750 words or less. Your word count will show up in the submission process.
5. A deadline will be set. Late entries will not be accepted.
6. You will be asked to provide your full name, email address, postal address, age group and contact phone number in your submission.
7. You must be at least 16 years of age to enter. There is a specific youth prize for writers 25 and under.
8. Your name must not appear anywhere in your story – our judges read all stories in blissful ignorance of the writer’s identity.
9. If you submit a winning story to the competition you are giving us permission to publish. Publication could include on the website, in a podcast, in an E-Book, or gay press. Otherwise copyright remains with the author.
10. You may submit more than one story.
11. We accept stories from writers based in Australia and New Zealand, and/or citizens of Australia or New Zealand.
12. All winners will be invited to read their story at our annual Awards Event. If you are unable to attend we will arrange for a reader.
13. Unfortunately we cannot enter into any discussion with you about your story, or provide individual feedback.